Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Little Green T-Shirt Prayers


Another Tuesday in Mr. Christensen's science class. I whispered a prayer for super natural "science pizazz", knowing the little, if any, of my 9th grade biology has most likely dissolved in the deep recesses of my brain.
As the students trickle in one by one,( not as late this week), I winced and tried to call them each by name by collecting the notecards from last week. Jeffery, check! Sidney, check! Javier,check! Jonathan, Check! Eric, check! Somehow I just couldn't get Diedrich and Diandre straight. O well, there was still time.
As the teacher shouted out the day's tedious and daunting assignment, I had already assigned myself the mission of "cracking" Ingrid, the "mute", as well as helping the students understand their text books. Class went on. As I made my way through the students I eventually made me way to Ingrid's desk. I smiled at her and sat down. It became clear I wasn't going anywhere soon, so eventually she paid me some attention. "What do you like to do Ingrid? What do you like?"...
A few of her classmates looked over.
...
.....
.............
I asked again.
"Shopping." She breathed.
"Gasp! Shopping? Me too. Where do you like to go shopping?" I countered.
"The Mall."
"What is your favorite thing to buy?"
..."T-Shirts."
Smiling a little on the outside but WAY BIG on the inside I asked one more question.
"What's your favorite color?"
"Green."
Ingrid spoke! Her classmates looked at me like I had just discovered sliced bread. She even let me in on a tiny tidbit of her likes. She was surprised and probably slightly annoyed at all the questions, but for today I was satisfied. Heck, I almost got a smile out of her. I was floating.
Class wrapped up and I passed out the notecards again, this time a different question. As I collected them I scribbled on the back of Ingrid's card "green t-shirt". Who knew when this info would come in handy? I high fived the class goodbye and walked out knowing Jesus had been in the class with me. As I shut the door behind me I smirked and asked the Lord for a little green t-shirt,forgetting about the request a second later. Little did I know that someone else had not.

That following day I was in a small group with some high school girls telling them about my classroom the previous day. I was trying to encourage them to ask God for stuff, even silly stuff that can make people's day better and maybe even lead them to a relationship with HIM. I remembered the silly request of a green t-shirt, that I could surly buy, but it was just more fun to ask God for it. Sure enough one of the girls, Riley piped up," I have a green t-shirt I picked out of my closet today for some reason. I was going to throw it away...want it?!"
AHHH!
I looked around at the silly smiles slapped on each girl in my small group. We gave God His glory. God even hears us when we don't hear ourselves, even when we say things that we don't expect to happen. He is a ear that is always attentive and he has a heart that never forgets our desires.

The next Tuesday I took the t-shirt in my bag and waited until everyone had been dismissed after class to pull Ingrid aside. I reached inside and pulled out the beautiful bright green t-shirt. She shot a smile that was so innocent and happy I could barely stand it. I explained that I took her interest to heart and found her a t-shirt. Her gaze finally left the shirt and she looked at me with her big brown eyes and gave me a quick "thank you so much", hug, and just like that was off. It was a short and sweet encounter, but it made every second in that class more than worth it to see the look of hope in her face. I believe one day she will know the One who provided that shirt.
So there you have it. There's nothing too small or too big you can ask Jesus for. He just wants to be a part of your LIFE. Everyday, informal, crazy, up and down life. If you don't pray a lot you might as well start somewhere. Try "little green t-shirt prayers." You never know who may be listening...

How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you. Psalm 31:19

...because He loves you.

Ingrid is the girl farthest to the right.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, you're one of my heroes. The way you empathize with seemingly anyone is AMAZING. I'm SO glad for people like you because I couldn't do that if given a thousand years.

    It's awesome how God gives us all different sets of abilities and the pasts to be perfectly equipped to do his work. I love it when we can see God work like that. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing! God is AMAZING! and so you :)

    ReplyDelete