Monday, May 30, 2011

Dandilion {seeds}

Dandilion Joy by Telstar Logistics
Dandilion Joy, a photo by Telstar Logistics on Flickr.

I spent a beautiful Memorial Day with my family lounging around home doing the unimportant, restful things you're supposed to do on a holiday weekend. The momma and I took a walk down by the lake. It was warm, windy and overcast, but refreshingly summer. As we walked and talked, enjoying eachother's company we were passed by bikers, joggers, and strollers. Everyone was taking in the view of the massive lake and the sharp white trails left behind by windsurfers.
We stopped a few times to admire blooming flowers, kneeling in close to get the concentrated scent of their sweet aroma. Walking on I bent down to grab a white fluffy dandilion. I couldn't resist the full white top, perfictly ripe for blowing seeds in the wind. I took a great breath and watched as the seeds floated carelessly away, very quickly I was left with a bare stem. The momma came up behind me and said with a smile," This is your summer." I shot her a puzzled look. "Yes, this is what your summer is like, just planting a bunch of seeds."
I laughed as I was getting such a marvelous revelatation from a weed. She was absolutley right. This summer, (and probably for the rest of my life) is all about planting little tiny seeds. It's like blowing the seeds away on the dandilion. We have no control where they land, how they're recieved, or what they become. The only part we are responsible for is taking that breathe.
Little seeds of kindness, of time spent with a friend, a smile or encouraging word to a stranger, an invitation, a prayer, a little seed of sometimes minute inconvient sacrifice.
Take a breath,
watch it float away,
no need to fret,
it shall bloom someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment