Monday, July 5, 2010

Robert


Land of the Free, home of the homeless.

It rained today at the beach.
I work at the beach.
Rainy day=day off...
Despite the cut in my paycheck, I was alright with the shortened day because I had been craving going on a little photo adventure in the city. I slapped on my hat,strapped on my backpack,slung my camera slyly around my chest, and squeaked down the sidewalk in my wet (bedazzled) crocs. As I begun this impromptu venture I felt adrenaline pumping. It was like I was about to steal something. And I did. I stole captured images on my trusty camera.
HOLD-UP,
this journey actually started first thing in my car after leaving work. I turned on the camera, and immediately started shooting drizzly pictures. As I drove I had one hand on the wheel and the other on the shutter button on continuos picture mode.
(Mom, I promise it's not as bad as it sounds.)
I stopped at a light, where a homeless man was standing on the corner. Nothing new. Forgetting that my windows are completely see through I tried snapping a few pics of the man. I thought "hey, the light is red, i've always wanted to document this sort of stuff." I did a few sly ninja shooting moves and got some not-so-secret shots of him.
I should get a job at Jiffy. I'm nuts.
Thankfully the light changed, I was almost sure he saw. I quick turned the corner and parked a block down.
Now the story returnes to the squeaky crocs. Feeling bad about stealing this homeless guys mug...I took the two bucks in my pocket and bought two double shmeezers from Micky D's. I headed towards the corner. I gave him the shmeezers and introduced myself. His name was Robert. I quickly gathered that Robert was very intelligent under his unshaved beard and scronny limbs. A war vet, he has no family, no home,no transportation, and no friends.Robert hitchhiked to Minneapolis from Arkansas in November and misjudged the Minnesota winters. As I listened to a little more of his story he was quick to joke and squashed our idea of the hopeless "homeless". He had a good chuckle after seeing my camera," Hey, are you the one that tried to sneak my picture in that car??"
"Yes Robert,I can't lie to you, it was I that took those pictures." I couldn't help but join in at my silliness. He shared of the surreal difficulty of living with nothing. I lost track of the times he said,"it's not easy." I asked Robert what makes him happy, he was quick to say young people having a good time, with no one bothering them. I asked Robert what is it that allows him to get up in the morning, having nothing. He said with a smirk, "the birds." Can you say good attitude? Or maybe sick sarcasm? But funny.
Robert continued to fill me in on his experiences in shelters. They sound like terrible places. After asking him how he would help people without homes, and without hope...Robert gave a beautiful answer as if he had thought of it a thousand times. If he was a millionaire he would build a huge buildings with different levels. The first level he would open would be for women and children. Security would be enforced to ensure its resident's safety.
In awe of his insight I asked if I could take his picture on his terms this time. He gladly complied. Honored at what he shared with me, I thanked him for sharing with me and promised to tell his story, and ensured him that his openness and ideas would make a difference. Anyone...ANYONE can make a difference.
He enjoyed his Micky D's, we prayed together, and I bid Robert farewell.
The photos of him are simple. I felt rushed and a little awkward blatantly taking his photo on the corner of a busy metropolitan street. If only I could obtain a script of the thoughts running through peoples thinkers as they drove past in their shiny cars (by the way my car is shiny, it's okay.)
I will never forget his face. These pictures are significant, because it's the start of something fresh. In ten years I will say," it all started with Robert." Thank you Robert!
'Common, dream big with me muddy people :)
I couldn't get him off my mind while I was trying to snap for the next thirty minutes. But I gave it a shot. Here's to Robert, dreams being fulfilled, and a splendid day off...

this is reality.
i couldn't fit my hair products in that backpack...but it's his everything.

drip drop.

i hope Robert finds a bike.







i can't resist boots.





After stuffy city smog, a breath of fresh air...



tidBITE*
Don't donate to homeless shelters, buy them shmeezburgers and chat a bit.
If you're really interested in local homeless here's a great ministry to get plugged in with:
http://urbanhomeworks.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment